Wednesday 28 October 2009

Why is there Daylight Saving Time?

It is believed that Daylight Saving Time was implemented a long time ago to give farmers more "sunlight" time to farm.

In more recent times, DST was implemented in 1918 to save fuel and electricity (energy)during World War I was repealed in 1919. DST was reinstated during World War II also as a method to save energy.

In 1973 it was officially established for use in the winter season, for the same purpose, a fuel/energy saving measure.It has also been shown in studies that traffic accidents are reduced by a substantial amount by making the adjustment for Daylight Saving Time. Increased accidents in the morning are far outweighed by the reduction of accidents in the evening.

DST is an outdated practice that doesn't save anything and even increases the rate of heart attacks and accidents. www.standardtime.com


According to the U.S. Department of Transportation:
  • It saves energy. When we're awake, we're more likely to have our TVs, VCRs, and lights on (among other home appliances). By shifting the hours we're likely to be awake to correspond with the daylight outside, we're less likely to have the lights on, so we use less electricity.
  • It saves lives. When people's waking hours correspond with daylight hours, they're safer. Traffic accidents, for example, are less likely when it's light out.
  • It cuts down on crime. Crime tends to happen after dark. As is the case with accidents, people are less likely to fall victim to crime when their waking hours are synched up with the sun.

But!! I feel... normally crime will happen at night and not in the morning... doesn't it? Nowadays when I walk to gym at 5.45pm!! OMG... It's like 11pm!! I'm so scared... I keep looking front and back everytime I walk the shortcut... Because I have this "think to much"behaviour... I keep thinking what if a Van suddenly stop and few mans carry me into the car? What if suddenly someone punch me? what if suddenly someone rope me...

Haih... I decided... Tomorrow onward... I will be walking "longcut" to gym then...

I dont like Daylight Saving... I would rather they offer employees and student, work and study less one hour... that means like 10am only start work... this sound better right??? doesn't it???

No comments: